Hello my sweet friends! Happy New Year! I am SO EXCITED to start this new year with you. Today I am joining my sweet friend, Kirsten Thompson, of Sweet Tea & Saving Grace, for a Blogging With Intention link up; sharing my blog related 2016 Goals, and begging for support and accountability from everyone I know.
See? This is my begging face.
But first, a confession; You see, I’m not good at goals. I’m not a “goal-getter”, as Kirsten would say. I’m an achiever; don’t get me wrong, I’m not a total slob, ;), but instead of planning my next move, and breaking down goals in to actionable steps, I’m better at “putting out fires”, and getting things done. I LOVE to check things off my list, but don’t put a lot of thought in to what goes on the list. Does that make sense?
Since I know this about myself, I have an around the clock stomachache along with an “I’m not doing this right” kind of feeling. Because…
I’m also a perfectionist, and I know that goals are important.
When I do try to set goals , it goes kind of like this:
Sounds great, huh? Realistic and achievable? Not so much.
So there’s my problem. I don’t actually write goals because I’m terrified that I won’t meet them. But if I wrote SMART (specific, measurable, attainable, realistic and time sensitive) goals, that might change.
Kirsten did a great job of helping us with a few exercises.
First, I was to list a few things I did well last year. Here’s what I came up with.
- I improved my photography, using Shoot Fly Shoot, an amazing video based photography class for visual learners.
- I bought RoadKill Rescue. Acquiring a second blog that fits so perfectly within my “wheelhouse” was a great business decision.
- I improved my content, and posted DIY projects that I am proud of. I really hope that you agree with this one. :)
- I read the book How To Style Your Brand (affiliate link), by Fiona Humberstone, spent hours installing a new theme, and designed a new style for my brand that can grow with me.
- I was involved as a co-host in the creation of a new link party, Inspired By You. (join us on Sunday mornings at 10am!)
Next up, three things that I need to work on. This list always comes easier; I’m pretty hard on myself.
- Consistency-I need to choose a blog posting schedule and stick to it.
- Photography-I have a LOT to learn about editing photos.
- Education-I meant what I said above; I have purchased MANY valuable blogging resources, but haven’t finished reading or implementing any of them.
How will I achieve those needed improvements? “With goals, I guess” she said with a shrug and an eye-roll dripping with attitude… ;)
Here we go…
- Create editorial calendar with scheduled posts for Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays, and Sundays. For the month of January, include a Let’s Get To Know Each Other post weekly.
- Finish reading Building A Framework, by Abby Lawson, watch the tutorials and interviews, and either implement recommendations, or schedule their implementation for a date before February 29.
- Create and post reader surveys for both Reinvented and RoadKill Rescue.
What do you think? I think I can do this!
I guess we’ll both find out when February 1st rolls around and I have to tell you how I did!
Thank you SO MUCH for your support, and for reading all the way to the end of this post. :)
Please please please come back on Wedneday, cuz I am DYING to show you what the engineer did last week. It’s EPIC.
Subscribe to Reinvented!
Join our tribe of Reinventors and get your FREE guide to shopping flea markets, thrift stores, and yard sales.